Sports Report 2011-2012
Strategen Dr. H D Kanga Cricket League 2011
MIG CC and Parel Sporting Club both retained their respective positions in ‘A’ and ‘B’ Division Cricket League.
The year 2011-12 was fairly good with regard to our achievements. Our teams MIG CC, Parel Sporting Club, Star CC and Friends SC, participated in most of the MCA tournaments with MIG CC being champions in Mahim Dadar Challenge CST for the third consecutive year and Parel Sporting Club being champions in Kurla Bapat CST.
Like every year this year too we conducted two major & one restricted cricket tournaments, viz. Padmakar Talim, Young Comrade and Mahim Dadar Challenge Shield, under the auspices of MCA. Our players Kevin Almeida, Ankush Jaiswal and Balkrushna Shirke excelled in their performances.
Summer Cricket Coaching Camp was held from 15th April to 27th May 2011 in which around 317 students participated. Local residents were given preference by charging them less fees. The students had the choice to attend any one session i.e. morning or evening with 13 coaches to guide them. The batches are divided into different age group categories.
Round the Year Cricket Coaching Camp was held from October 2011 to March 2012 wherein 141 students participated with 6 Coaches. The students were charged an amount of Rs.10,000/- for the six months Camp and also concession were given to few under privilege students. At the end of the Camp like last year few talented students were given an opportunity to play in Junior tournaments representing our Club.
M.I.G Cricket Academy
The boys of MIG Academy did a brilliant job this year by winning The Indian Gymkhana U/12 Tournament and being the runner’s up in Ghosh Trophy U/16 Tournament and Scorpio Cup U/13 Tournament. The boys of our MIG Academy have also been involved in forming the core set up of Mumbai Junior Cricket, with Prithvi Shaw, Mehboob Shaikh, Ashay Sardesai being selected for Mumbai U/14 team 2011-12.
- Prithvi Shaw, Mehboob Shaikh And Ashay Sardesai played for the Mumbai U/14 side for the year 2011-12.
- Onkar Jadhav and Dhrumil Matkar played for the Mumbai U/16 side for the year 2011-12.
- Aishwary Surve & Akash Parkar played for the Mumbai U/19 side for the year 2011-12.
- Sumit Gadigaonkar played for Mumbai U/22 side and even got selected for the NCA training camp.
- Onkar Jadhav was awarded the Late. Kumar M V Dabhir Award for the Best U/16 Jr. Cricketer of the season 2010-11 and also got selected for NCA training camp.
- Akash Parkar was awarded Late Shri B Banerjee Award for Best fast bowler of the season 2010-11 and also selected for NCA training Camp
- Prashant Shetty was awarded the best coach of the U/14 Mumbai team.
Summer Coaching Camp
Summer Cricket Coaching Camp has started from 12th April 2012. In the last week of the Camp we have arranged Ex-Test and Ranji players, who will share their experience and provide various important tips to improve their all-round skills & techniques.
Further, this year we have tied up with “NIKE” brand that has sponsored T-Shirt, Track, Shoes, Socks and Cap to all Summer Camp Coaches and at the end of the Camp 4 best students will be selected and sent to National Cricket Academy for training.
Jonty Rhodes Visit to MIG Cricket Club
Former South African cricketer and the greatest fielder Jonty Rhodes is coming to MIG Cricket Club on a three day camp from 12th May to 14th May 2012 for Coaching to Summer Coaching Camp Students in 2 sessions i.e. 7-8 am and 8-9 am. Rhodes is presently working as a fielding coach for South African national cricket team and also hired as the fielding coach for IPL Team Mumbai Indians. Rhodes was hired as the Kenya team's assistant coach for fielding and batting. Rhodes lives up to his reputation with a easy laugh and self deprecating humor. Rhodes would be sharing his experience and giving his inputs by sharing his skills about the game specially fielding. It would be a blessing for Summer Coaching Camp students to hear tips from the legendary player.
MIG Cricket Academy were winner for the 3rd consecutive year (2011-12) in the Indian Gymkhana U/12 Cricket Tournament with Varun Lavande being Man of The Match in the finals and Athrava Ankolekar being declare Best Fielder for the 2nd consecutive year.
MIG Cricket Club were the Winner in the Mahim Dadar Challande Cricket Shield Tournament for the 3rd consecutive year (2011-12) with an all-round performance by Kevin D’Almeida scoring 121 runs off 112 balls and also claiming 4 wickets for 26 runs in the finals.
- Summer Coaching Camp was held from 11th April to 30th May 2011 with nearly 50 students participating in 3 different categories i.e. Beginners, Advance and Elite batches.
- Hubert Miranda won in 60+ Mens Single Category at World Senior Badminton Championship held in Canada in August 2011. Intra Club Badminton Tournament for all age groups was held in the badminton court from 26th to 28th August 2011.
- The MIG-PSA Junior State Open Badminton Tournament 2011 was held in the badminton court from 22nd to 25th October 2011 wherein approx 300 players from all over Maharashtra participated.
- MIG CC Senior Badminton team won the 20th G D Birla Memorial Inter Club Badminton Tournament 2012 held at Bombay Gymkhana from 29th Feb to 4th March 2012. The team was Sanjeev Patki (Captain), Dr. Ajit Desai, Hubert Miranda, Milind Ghate, Krishna Shanbag, Ajit Nair, Jitesh Padukone, Yogesh Padukone, Vilas Kuvale.
- Long awaited relaying of new wooden Badminton court was done this year.
- Summer Coaching Camp was held from 15th April to 3rd June 2011 and this time a record of nearly 225 students participated.
- Adult Summer Coaching Camp was also organized for Members in the month of April & May 2011.
- Divyansh Jain, Shloka Gidwani, Karan Muzumdar, Nachiket Rane, Chaitanya Ranganekar, Shaswat Aryan, Sanmay Satam won medals in various age group events at 28th Open Swimming Championship 2011 held on 16th - 17th April at Otters Club, Bandra West.
- Divyansh Jain, Karan Muzumdar, Jhanvi Shetty, Chinmay Shimpi, Richa Nadkarni, Sanmay Satam, Abhinandan Chittal, Sashawat Aryan, Nachiket Rane, Siddhant Gupte, Neelotpal Deshpande, Shloka Gidwani, Namita Hegdekar won various medals in various age group events held on 6th 7th & 8th May 2011 at Tata Swimming Pool, Chembur in GMAAA Age Group Aquatic Championship.
- Divyansh Jain, Nachiket Rane, Richa Nadkarni and Chinmay Shimpi won medals in various age group events at State Level Meet held on 9th & 10th July 2011 at Balewadi, Pune.
- Divyansh Jain was selected for the national in 50 & 100 meters in butterfly for representing Maharashtra in National Level Meet held in August 2011 at Bhopal.
- Karan Muzumdar, Nachiket Rane won medals at various age group events at Inter ICSE School Swimming Competition at National Level held at DE PAW International Residential School and Junior College , Mysore on 15th & 16th October 2011.
- Divyansh Jain, Shlok Gidwani, Nachiket Rane, Karan Muzumdar, Kaustubh Kalyankar, Chinmay Shimpi won medals in various age group in MSSA- Aditya Birla 48th Annual Interschool Aquatic Championship 2011-12 held at Ozone Swimming Pool, Goregaon on 19th & 20th November 2011.
- Divyansh Jain, Shlok Gidwani, Chinmay Shimpi, Nachiket Rane, Namita Hegdekar, Chaitanya Raanganekar, Kaustubh Kalyankar won medals at various age groups in GMAAA Interschool/ Junior College Swim Meet 2011 held at Mandapeshwar Civic Federation, Borivali on 26th & 27th November 2011.
- Shashikumar Karekar won Four Medals at the Maharashtra State Amateur & Veterans Aquatic Associations 14th Masters Aquatic Championship 2011 held on 26th and 27th November 2011 at Siddharth Swimming Pool, Aurangabad.
- Shashikumar Karekar won five Medals at Veteran Event (Age 75-79 years) at 8th Masters National Aquatic Championship 2011 held at Corporation Swimming Pool in Sadashivanagar/Jayanagar, Bangalore from 22nd to 24th December 2011.
- 4th Open Swimming Gala 2012 was organized by our Club on 21st & 22nd January 2012 wherein 27 Clubs participated with approx. 300 entries in the tournament and our Advance Coaching Camp students won 100 meters Free style and Medley relay events.
- Adult and Regular Coaching Swimming Coaching Camp has started from 10th April to wherein most of the students learn the art of swimming from specialist.
- Fourth consecutive years we had organized Mumbai City & Suburban District Ranking Table Tennis Championship 2011 at our Badminton Court and Bird’s View from 4th to 9th August 2011 wherein approx. 350 entries were received.
- On the basis of the result of this tournament, Mumbai District & Mumbai City teams are selected to represent State Championship in different categories.
- Dr. Anagha Joshi, Neeta Kulkarni, Jayant Kulkarni and Suhas Dandekar won Medals at the Veterans National Table Tennis Tournament held at Gangtok, Sikkim from 20th Feb to 24th Feb 2012.
Billiards and Snooker
- Nahar Group-MIG Cricket Club All India Invitation Snooker tournament was held in the Snooker/Billiards room from 1st May 2011, wherein the likes of National and International players Pankaj Advani, Geet Sethi, Yashin Merchant, Devendra Joshi and other top rating players participated in the tournament.
- Intra Club Snooker/Billiards tournament was held Snooker/Billiards room from 26th August 2011.
- MIG CC Feathers participated in WZO Trust Mumbai Snooker League 2011, wherein few matches were held at the Snooker/Billiards room on 5th September 2011.
- IntraClub handicap Snooker Double Tournament 2011 was held Snooker/Billiards room from 27th August 2011 to 28th September 2011.
- Our Snooker Team of R. Girish , Pradeep Singh, Gaurav Prabhu, Ninad Borkar and Gunmeen Kohli were semi finalists in the 8th PYC-ATC Snooker Challenge from 10th to 24th November 2011 at Pune.
- We organized the Maharashtra Open Rating Chess Tournament 2011 under the auspices of Bombay Chess Association from 11th to 15th July 2011.
- Samson Sequeira secured 2nd place in 5000 meters Men 45+ category in Maharashtra State Veterans Athletics and was selected in National Level Veteran Championship
- The Club has appreciated the efforts of Marathon runners Mr. Dilip Patil & Mr. Pradip Kadu by sponsoring part expenses of Rs. 50,000/- each for their tour for participation in Comrades Ultra Marathon held in South Africa on 29th May 2011.
- Sanaa Datar won the Silver Medal in 200 meters run at 118th Annual Inter School Athletic Championship 2011-12 on 17th December 2011.
- Dance Aerobics class by Fortune Fitness Studio was started for ladies from 17th January 2011, 3 times a week i.e Mon/Wed/Fri timing 7.00 pm to 8.00 pm.
- Looking at the response, it has been decided to start new 2 batches i.e. Mon/Wed/Fri , 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm and Tue/Thu/Sat, 7.30 to 8.30 pm.
Gym & Health Club
- The Gym. is now renovated by giving a new look along with installation of latest equipments. We are now proud to say our Gym. can be compared with any other top class Gym. of the city. Members are very happy with the new equipments. The management is now handled by professional Gym. coordinator M/s. Fitness Focus. The Diet consultation is done periodically and many Members take advantage of such consultation.
- ABS Workshop to learn how to perform effective ABs Exercise was organized on 4th & 6th July and again on 12th, 14th, 16th December 2011.
- One Hour Free Yoga workshop on Basic Kriya and Pranayam was organized for members on 17th Feb 2012.
- Yoga Classes by Mrs. Uma Parulkar are held in the morning and evening sessions for 5 days a week i.e. from Monday to Friday.
- One month Yoga Summer Camp for positive physicial and mental health is being held from 1st May to 31st May 2012 in the morning session wherein participant will learn traditional Hatha Yoga, Asana, Pranayam Kriya etc and Suryanamaskar.
- Varsha Upadhye (Mem.No. OU-522) was awarded the most prestigious award for Women i.e. HIRKANI AWARD 2011-12 for the excellence in the field of sports - Rhythmic Gymnastics as a First Indian Woman Coach and International Judge.
- Drawing Competition was arranged for Sant Gyaneshwar Nagar under privilege children, on 13th November 2011.
- Every year Lakhmiben Hansraj Latwalla Special Care Centre, BKC, organize their sports day for their handicap students on our ground.
- Every Year Pink n Blues, a nursery school, Bandra (E) organize their Annual Sports day on our ground.
- Gandhinagar, Shastri Nagar and Government institutions are given the ground for their cricket tournaments and matches.
Dance Summer Camp for all aged started from 16th April 2012 wherein Bollywood Hip-Hop, Contemporary, Folk, Semi-Classical and Classical dance forms be taught.
Monsoon Intra-Club Indoor Games Tournament 2012 was held on 8th & 9th September 2012 with 144 entries for Badminton (48), Carrom (16), Chess (16), Table Tennis (32) and 6 Balls Snooker (32). Members with great enthusiasm participated in the tournament.
Joint Prize Distribution function of Padmakar Talim, Young Comrade and Mahim Dadar Challenge Cricket Shield Tournaments 2011-12 of MIG CC held on Saturday, 15th September 2012 in our Club with Chief Guest Shri Vijay Patil, Vice-President, Mumbai Cricket Association doing the honours. Shri Vijay Patil and Shri Vinod Despande, Vice President’s of MCA were felicitated on the occasion. Our players Kevin D’ Almeida, Ankush Jaiswal, Pratik Dabholkar and Kunal Dubey bagged individual prizes. Our Member Shri Chandrasekhar Sant (President, Sports Journalist Association), Shri P D Bapat (Curator MIG CC) and our groundsmen were also felicitated.